Sunday, May 3, 2009

Qualifier Comments

The trip to Fort Worth for the CrossFit Games Regional Qualifier turned out to be a great experience. We arrived Friday evening knowing nothing about the workouts that would come on Saturday and Sunday. I was so nervous! Thankfully I had Jennifer with me to register...all these very fit young people checking in--I needed all the support I could get just to get my registration packet! (Thanks Jennifer!!!) Next, we went to the gym to find out the workouts. They were:

WOD #1 (20 minute time limit)
3 rounds for time:
10 clean and jerk (105# for women, 155# for men)
500 meter row

WOD #2 (15 minute time limit)
50 chest to bar pullups
50 burpees

Sunday WOD (15 minute time limit)
21-15-9
24# box jump
KB swings (ladies 36#, men 55#)
Sumo deadlift high pull (ladies 65#, men 95#)

I was heat number 7 for the first workout. I was so nervous at the beginning because I really thought that everyone would finish very quickly and I would be the only one not able to. I was wrong. There were several women who could not finish even the first 10 clean and jerks. In fact, of the 36 women competing, 12 did not finish the first workout within the time limit. I finished--barely--at 19:19. I think it was the hardest workout I've ever done, but I was very excited to have completed it.

I went in to the second workout a little worried, but I seriously thought I could do it. I was really wrong! I only was able to do 14 chest to bar pull ups out of the 50. The workout was done outside. It started raining pretty hard during my heat, which made the bar pretty slick. I'm sure that made a difference, but probably not as much as I would like to think. I just couldn't get it done. Very disappointing. But, again, of the 36 women, 16 did not finish this workout! In fact, only 16 women finished both of the workouts from the first day.

The Sunday workout was definitely one I could pretty easily complete. I decided not to do it for a couple of reasons. First, the trainer from our gym went into the Sunday round in 4th place among the men. We were all very excited for him! I really wanted to just focus on cheering for him that day. Second, there was not that much of a point in doing the workout on Sunday for me. I already had a DNF for the 2nd workout, so it would have just been for fun. I'll try that workout at home sometime. Jason (our CrossFit OKC gym owner and trainer) ended up in 5th place among the men, which was good enough to send him to the CrossFit games this summer in California.

Overall, the qualifier was very fun. I learned that I really could push through a tough workout that many very strong and fit women could not. I also learned that I need to stop fretting about my age. I think I was the oldest woman, but there was another over 40. The rest were much younger, but who cares? Anyway, I had a great time and I want to thank you all for your support. It meant so much to me. Now...to start training for next year!

5 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I'm so proud of you. I could tell you were nervous about the weekend when I asked you last Wednesday. I had you in my thoughts and prayers and knew that God would give you the peace and assurance to compete. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could have seen Laura perform! She definitely has the "warrior spirit" and did not give up in the face of strong adversity. David got some great photos of Laura and the mental aspect of hitting a wall of pain and getting past it to victory! She really was the oldest competitor and out-performed women half her age. She didn't tell you that the pull up standard was chest to bar (had to touch the bar with your chest), which adds another dimension to an already hard skill. She can do chest to bar, but seriously - in the rain?????? I'll bring photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I"m impressed! Sounds like a great weekend and one in which you could face your fears and doubts and triumph and overcome. You are an inspiration to women! Thanks for encouraging us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunday: 25-pushups, 75 squats, 75 sit ups

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you Laura! Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more! We have the best leader to look up to!!!

    ReplyDelete