Friday, September 11, 2009

Man. Life is Short.

Eight years ago nearly 3000 lives were cut short. The rest of us watched in horror.

Life expectancy in the U.S. for men is about 75 years, women about 80. We are, however, given no guarantees. I bring this up not to depress, but to try to make sense of our lives. What is the point? I believe the point of it all is to make a point. To have a reason for being. To make a difference.

The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose.

You don’t know your purpose? Look outward. Whatever your purpose is, I can tell you it will not be selfish. Find the joy in helping and doing for others. Make the decision to move your life in a positive direction so that you are better able to help others. Tragedies, pitfalls, and setbacks will abound along our road. Learn from mistakes, overcome setbacks, mourn tragedies…continue. Make your point. It probably won’t be a huge, well known, or glamorous point. Make it anyway. You never know who you will touch. The lyrics of this song always are a great reminder to me that even acts that we consider small and insignificant can have a great impact on the lives of others.

Thank You for Giving to the Lord
Music and Lyrics by Ray Boltz

I dreamed I went to Heaven, you were there with me.

We walked upon the streets of gold beside the Crystal Sea.
We heard the angels singing, then someone called your name.
You turned and saw this young man, and he was smiling as he came.
He said, "Friend you may not know me now," and then he said,

"But wait -You used to teach my Sunday School, when I was only eight.
And every week you would say a prayer before the class would start.
And one day when you said that prayer,I asked Jesus in my heart."

Chorus
Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am so glad you gave.

Then another man stood before you, he said "Remember the time,
A missionary came to your church, His pictures made you cry.
You didn't have much money but you gave it anyway.
Jesus took that gift you gave
And that's why I'm in Heaven today"

Chorus

One by one they came, far as your eyes could see.

Each life somehow touched by your generosity.
Little things that you had done, sacrifices that you made,
They were unnoticed on this earth
In Heaven now proclaimed.

Chorus

And I know up in Heaven you're not supposed to cry

But I am almost sure there were tears in your eyes
As Jesus took your hand and you stood before the Lord
He said "My child look around you,Great is your reward."

Chorus

Life is short. We have been given the gift of TODAY. Use this gift wisely. Find some time today to do something for someone else. No matter how small. You'll feel good, they'll feel good--everyone wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment