Saturday, September 26, 2009

Workout for Sunday, September 27

I usually don't post workouts for Thursdays and Sundays. But, I have decided to start. Thursdays I will concentrate on some sort of core exercise or strength work, Sundays I will concentrate on some kind of running or walking.

Many people don't like running. Or, they have some sort of injury that prevents them from running. In these cases, try to find a suitable substitute, such as rowing, biking, or eliptical, and then try to come up with comparable distances to running.

I generally run 5k every Sunday. I like this distance--it is challenging and the time fits my schedule nicely. But, I know it is important to run a variety of distances with a variety of intensities. I would encourage each of you to have some running/walking benchmarks. Know your time on the following distances and try to improve upon them:

400m (1/4 mile)
800m (1/2 mile)
1 mile
2 miles
5k (3.1 miles)

For our workout today:

If you have a treadmill available, do the following:

Run as far as you can, as fast as you can in 15 minutes. Record the distance you made.

If you do not have a treadmill, time yourself on one or two of the benchmark distances.

2 comments:

  1. 15 min = about 2 miles for Julie. I tested it in my car and I don't have the tenths on my odometer. I ran from Memorial (at the entrance to go to the parking lot by the track - track was locked up today) to Broadway and back - exactly 15 min, but I the mile switched at the light to Pine Oak - so probably a tenth more? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I didn't get to time anything today, but I did go for a good walk with my husband, sister and 6 children! That's also with a single stroller, a double stroller, a wagon and a bike! So, walking, not running, but outside doing something! :)

    ReplyDelete