Thursday, February 12, 2009

Protein--You need it!

Take a break today! Or, if you aren't too sore, do one of the workouts from the last 2 days.

I've had some questions about food/nutrition in the last few days. I thought I would give you a couple of easy tips. First of all, I truly believe in the Zone diet and keeping a good ratio of proteins, carbs, and fats (about 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat). I know from experience that I just feel better if I keep close to this ratio. Do I cheat? YES! I did big time yesterday with a piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory. It was delicious! But I feel I can indulge every now and then as long as I stay in check the rest of the time.

The biggest problem I have is getting enough protein in a day. I love meat, so I never thought that would be a problem, but it seems to be. Most women need to eat about 11 oz. of lean meat (or similar protein source) a day. The thing about protein is that it helps keep you full. Back in my trying-to-diet-but-failing-miserably days, I would have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and then for dinner I would eat what came down to my ONLY real protein source for the day. I was so hungry! Why? Carbs! I was essentially on a carb diet. Low calorie, yes. But certainly not balanced. Now I find that if I eat about 3 oz. of protein or more at every meal I am satisfied for much longer. Same with fat. Don't think of fat as the enemy! Try to have some GOOD fat with every meal--you will be much more satisfied.

One of my FAVORITE snacks is:

  • 2 pieces of string cheese (2% mozzarella)
  • 1 apple
  • 10 almonds (or a little peanut butter--2-3 tsp.)

The idea is to BALANCE your meals. So, if you are going to eat some type of carb, be sure to balance it with some kind of protein and some kind of fat. I love to drink a glass of wine (or 2!) Wine is a carb source. Whenever I drink wine, I have gotten in the habit of eating a few nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans) as my fat source and some cheese as my protein source.

Try not to just get a salad for lunch. Get a salad with chicken or some other meat on it. Or, get a side salad and a burger. Don't eat the bun though!

Speaking of burgers...I eat out a lot. Sometimes it has to be fast food. I usually get a hamburger with everything on it. I'll take off the bun and eat it with a fork. Skip the fries. Some places even offer their burgers wrapped in lettuce.

So, while I'm on my protein eating soapbox, I will give you this great little recipe for BBQ chicken that I got from my friend Kim (who happens to be the wife of my trainer, Jason.)

BBQ Pulled Chicken

4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen or fresh
Water
2 bouillon cubes
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Onion powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (more or less to taste)
6 Pepperidge Farms® 100% Whole Wheat hamburger buns
1/2 cup 2% Shredded cheese
Shredded cabbage (optional)

Place chicken breast in slow cooker and add enough water to cover completely. Add spices. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. To serve, remove chicken from liquid and pull apart with two forks until shredded. Mix in 1/4 cup of liquid and BBQ sauce. Divide chicken and cheese evenly between the buns. Place in microwave or broiler to melt cheese. Top with cabbage, if desired. Serve with a steamed vegetable and side salad.

I will tell you that for my family, this is not enough BBQ sauce. They usually add some bottled sauce. Personally, I do not eat the bun. It is delicious on its own. I will typically make this on a weekend and then put it in containers to have at lunch during the week.

If you are interested in more nutrition stuff--let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Great nutrition info, Laura, and I totally agree. Adding protein has really helped me stop the munching. I'm a big believer in Breakfast, too. No skipping! It wakes your body up and sets the course for your day. Thanks for the chicken recipe. It sounds great and I know my family will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thanks for the nutrition info. I decided to try Monday's workout today and was happy to improve by one minute. The jump roping gets easier the more squats I do. There is a method to your madness!!

    30-20-10: 3x single unders/set ups
    Time: 5:12

    ReplyDelete