Friday, June 12, 2009

Workout for Saturday, June 13

Run or walk 5k (3.1 miles)

What do you do when you DON'T want to do the workout posted for the day? SOMETHING. That's right. Do something. Call it a rest day if you must and hang out with family and friends. OR do what I did today...change the workout to something that you want to do.

I love running. Don't confuse that statement with "I am a fast runner," or "I run every day." No, I run typically 2-3 5k runs a month and a 10k about every 90 days or so. Then I have the CrossFit 400m and 800m runs that come along in workouts every now and then. But for the last couple of weeks I have gotten on my treadmill planning to run a 5k or 10k and just cannot do it. Today was no exception. I actually quit and left the room, defeated again. I couldn't let myself do that again. I decided I would run "sprints" instead. (I put sprints in quotations because most would not consider my speed sprinting!) Here's what I did:

1/4 mile (400m)
1/4 mile (400m)
1/2 mile (800m)
1 mile

I rested about 3-4 minutes between each segment. None of my times were personal bests, but still, I pushed myself pretty hard and certainly got in a good workout.

As for the last 1.1 miles of the 5k workout posted for today? My 17 year old niece is visiting this weekend. I think the mall and many miles of shopping are calling out to us!

2 comments:

  1. Sadly I had no time to work out today, but I probably walked back and forth across the church (setting up for VBS) the equivalent of a 5k! Plus, lots of squatting, ladder climbing and lifting very heavy objects! I guess that means my work out was from 10am-6pm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - between Friday, Saturday and Sunday - got the walk in - also walked to the Farmer's Market and back from the church with the kids, so I got a little intentional walk in.

    ReplyDelete